Question
Posted by: Clair | 2009-09-19

Protein Shakes

Hi, I just want to know about protein shakes. Which brand would you recommend and do you recommend I do a certain amount of exercise so I don' t get bulky?

Hi Clair

Honestly, none of them. I don't think they're necessary for people who are starting out and who don't want to get bulky. The only concession I will make is in bodybuilders or rugby players who are trying to bulk up and who are trying really hard to train for sport and to build muscle at the same time. But for everyone else, it's not necessary, because a decent diet does more than enough already.

Reading between the lines, it would seem you may be in the earlier phases of training, or you are trying to achieve toning and possibly weight loss. But it's hard, because you haven't really stated your goal from the protein shakes.

I think regardless of your objective, my advice is to look first at diet, then at training and not waste your money on these shakes, because they don't do anything without training anyway. In other words, they're the last resort, not the first.