Posted by: Aidan | 2009-01-14

Protein shakes

When should I take a protein shake, before or after a workout??

and if i must take it before, how long after the protein shake must i wait before i work out, or do i start immediatly?

What do you recommend, will the results be better if i take it before and after??

HI Aidan

There's some evidence that protein just after helps with recovery, especially if it's combined with carbs. Late last year, there was some that found that people looking to lose weight should avoid taking protein or carbs within about an hour of training.

Now I'm not sure what your objectives are, or what the intention behind the protein shake is, I assume it's to help with muscle growth. In that case, i guess just after. Before is not really feasible, because protein causes stomach problems in many people. So it's probably after. The real issue is whether you need protein supplementation, or whether a balanced diet might not be sufficient. I'm not convinced that people actually need them.