Question
Posted by: Cathy | 2010/01/20

Protein intolerance

Hi Doc, I really hope you can help. I was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia about 3 years ago. Was put on medication but eventually I stopped taking the meds and rather controlled the severe heartburn etc by regulating my diet. About a month ago I started noticing that every time I eat protein, be it in the form of eggs, red meat, milk, yoghurt etc I get severe stomach cramps followed by very bad diarrhoea (sometimes up to 5 times in one day). As soon as the diarrhoea settles I get a headache with migraine type symptoms. I went to see my doctor and he told me that I had colitis, prescribed antibiotics and told me to stay away from dairy products. I have done all this but the symptoms persist. I have now gone through two courses of antibiotics but still every time I eat any form of protein the cycle repeats itself.

Hallo Cathy
Have your stool tested for bacteria and parasites (5ml in a clean sterile bottle to the lab - ask for stool MCS)I don't think this has a relation to the hiatus hernia, but is more a bowel problem. You may have an intolerance to lactose. If the culture shows no infection, I think you should see a gastroenterologist.

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/01/20

Hallo Cathy

Reply to cyberdoc