Question
Posted by: Ron | 2008/08/13

Protein intake

Hi Diet Doc,

I read your articles on how much protein we need.
I aslo read many articles on bodybuilding sites etc. and they say to consume at least 2.5-3g per kg of body weight.

This is really difficult and expensive to achieve, and I cannot be bothered trying to get that much protein in my body everyday.

Is that much really neccessary?

Dear Ron
According to a leading book on sports nutrition called “Clinical Sports Nutrition’ by Burke and Deakin (2002), only body builders (of all athletes) require up to 1.7 g of protein per kg body weight per day during their early training and afterwards they can reduce their protein intake to 1.2 g per kg body weight. A 70 kg athlete would thus only require 119 g of protein per day during early training and 84 g during maintenance. Eating up to 3 g of protein per kg body weight per day is not necessary, expensive and may harm the kidneys, so stick to the lower intake. It is after all the amount of weight training that you do that will build the muscles and this process takes time, so be patient.