Posted by: Charlie | 2009-01-31

Protein drinks

I was just wondering if protien drinks such as maximuscle are safe for people aged 16 like me

Hi Charlie

I don't know - never been tested. The problem with supplements is that they aren't ever tested, so no one can say if they're safe.

Protein supplements are, as far as these things go, safer than most, because they are pretty normal and don't contain many potentially harmful substances.

However, the more important thing is why bother? At the age of 16, you don't need supplements, you're still young and growing and your diet is easily able to provide enough energy and value so that you won't need to resort to a supplement. That's true even if you're trying to bulk up.

So I wouldn't waste money on this. Rather spend the money on seeing a dietician and then develop good eating habits early. They'll be far move valauble and effective later in life.