Question
Posted by: Candice | 2011/09/09

Protein diet

I wondered if you could help me, I have just had my 3rd child. (8 weeks ago) I am back at gym now twice a week for an hour each time. I need to eat a high protein diet but not sure what foods to eat and what to stay away from. Is there anywhere on this site where I could download a protein diet eating plan? Easy foods because with having 3 kids now there is just no time to make meals 6-8 times a day. I am breast feeding so can I have the protein shakes?

I want to loose about 8kgs by beginning of Dec so I want to start as soon as possible.

Dear Candice
Congratulations on the birth of your 3rd child. I am not in favour of high-protein, high-fat diets and therefore do not feature one of this Website. If you are breastfeeding, which is one of the most valuable gifts you can give your new baby to protect him or her against a variety of diseases and future obesity, then you should be eating a balanced diet, that includes all the food groups. The reason for this is that a balanced diet provides all the vitamins, minerals and other essential nutrients that you and your baby need. Baby to grow and develop, and for you so that you don't develop deficiencies of nutrients like calcium. Please reconsider the use of a high-protein, high-fat diet and rather opt for a moderately energy-reduce balanced diet instead. Try eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), to which you need to add 2 extra servings of low-fat or fat-free milk or yoghurt a day to provide the 1500 mg of calcium you and baby require. It is good that you are going to the gym because exercise stimulates your metabolism, prevents post-natal depression and promotes weightloss. Just don't overdo the exercise sessions to such an extent that your milk dries up. The use of the low-fat diet and regular exercise should result in a loss of between 0,5 and 1 kg of weight per week, so in the 10 weeks between now and December you should lose those 8 kg.
Enjoy the baby

1

Dear Candice
Enjoy the baby