Question
Posted by: Alex | 2012/09/11

Protein and egg whites

Thank you for this wonderful forum .

I am basically a vegetarian , i just dont like meats ...

I eat chicken , fish , and egg whites, chicken fillets only and maybe once every 2 weeks and fish i norm have maybe twice a week.

I love diary though and for breakfast i have glass of fat free milke with my oats , i have a fat free youghurt as a snack and love to eat fat free cottage cheese on toast . All my dairy is fat free and i dont like normal chesse at all.

Now with the new egg debate ( i have read your article and thank you for it very imformative) are egg whites save , because i love egg whites with some cottage cheese and often eat 3 egg whites at a time is this ok ?? How many egg whites can i have a day ??

I have no health issues and have basic checks done once a year cholestrol etc and they always good results

Dear Alex
Thank you for your kind words which make my day! The dietary intake that you describe is good and you should not have any problems with deficiencies on the one hand or excessive cholesterol on the other hand. The fat-free milk, yoghurt and cottage cheese are rich in bioavailable calcium and very high quality protein, while the egg whites are also an excellent source of protein, all without excessive fat or cholesterol. As long as you cook the egg whites there should not be a problem with eating more than one a day. Eating large quantities of raw egg white can cause a biotin (one of the B-vitamins) deficiency, because the raw egg white contains an anti-nutritional factor called avidin. Cooking (heat treatment) inactivates the avidin.

1

Dear Alex