Question
Posted by: Allie | 2010-05-06

Protein

Hi.

I have recently started resistance training. I want to take a protein shake (whey/soy), but I am not certain which would be a safer option. I have read many pro''s and cons to both, but I am still left in the dark as many people have different arguments. Could you please tell me which protein shake would be better for me, as a 20-year old female?

Dear Allie
Firstly you only need to take supplemental protein via shakes if you intend to do serious body building or if your basic diet is deficient in protein. Most people in SA who eat a western diet eat more than enough high quality protein (meat, eggs, milk, yoghurt, cheese, fish, etc) to sustain the 1 g of protein per kg body weight that you require for building muscle tissue (if you weigh 60 kg then you only need 60 g of protein/day). Because soy products contain some oestrogen-like compounds, the American Dietetic Association has warned that women who have a family or personal history of oestrogen-sensitive breast cancer, should not eat large quantities of soy products. However, if you have only one serving of the soy shake a day, this should not be a problem. If there is any history of breast cancer, rather stick to they whey shake if you decide to use a shake.

3
Posted by: Allie | 2010-05-06

Thank you for the advice. I am not certain whether my current diet fulfills my daily protein needs, but am aware that I would only need approximately 1g per kg body weight.

Also, I''m not really going to do serious body building, but I need to lose quite a bit of weight and then I do want to build, but only slightly. I''ve read that whey/soy proteins can help for this [weight loss and slight building], is it true?

Reply to Allie
Posted by: Johannes | 2010-05-06

I would say for a female Soy should do the trick!?

Reply to Johannes
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-05-06

Dear Allie