Question
Posted by: Kasandra | 2009-04-09

Protein

I am back at gym. 3 times a week super circuit/weights 2 times cardio. My problem i dont eat meat really and due to high cholestrol cant eat too much eggs. Dont like nuts or whey shakes. Can i eat half a protein bar? I eat usually rye toast with peanut b after work out snack: muesli 5 nuts lunch rye toast avo chicken roll tomato dinner lots of veggies.

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Kasandra

Don’t worry that you don’t eat too much meat there are other ways around the issue. Firstly it is ok to eat a protein bar which is nothing other than whey, but obviously in a format that you can stomach it. Secondly eggs are great – just reduce the yolk – I usually eat six whites per 1 yolk and gone is the cholesterol problem – you can even completely omit the yolks. In the place of nuts try all kinds of seeds – they are great toasted. You can get by with as little as 0.8g protein per kilogram of weight. Calculate the protein in all your intakes and you will be surprised to see that it might just be enough. Remember that there is quite some protein in rice and pulses as well and it is a good idea to combine the two make a complete protein.

Take care
Vanessa

1
Posted by: Kasandra | 2009-04-09

I lost a kg and my goal is to tone and build some muscle my weight 48kg height 1.52

Reply to Kasandra