Question
Posted by: Gym guy | 2008/09/01

Protein

Morning.

I need some help. I gym regularly, between 4 to 6 times weekly for about an hour. Some times I will go gyming 3-4 times weekly and then will be jogging for about 5km 2-3 times weekly.

I want to build bigger muscles. Bought Weider Muscle Builder (Protein) For best results must I use this for five days a week and the skip two days?

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

You need to understand that the first step is always your diet and how many calories you need! Start by calculating what your daily calorie need is for the weight you want to be and add calories to that to support your training program and daily activities. If I use 80 kg and my own assumptions you will need about 2400 – 2500 calories per day. If a person wants to loose weight and specifically body fat they will need to consume less calories than what their body needs and in your case you want to build muscle you will need an additional amount of about 15% extra calories and you need to be in a positive protein balance, which constitutes about 2, 5-3g protein per kilogram of body weight if you want to build.

Divide your energy need into six meals per day with the following ratio: 40-60 % carbs, 20-40% protein, and ONLY 20% fat of which most should be good fats (avo, olives, olive oil, safflower oil, nuts and seeds). Split these values into six meals per day – eating about every 3 hours – this keeps the body’s metabolism running.
Re the supplements – always take a liquid meal = protein & carb combination which is low in fat - this is known as a meal replacement supplement, without stimulants, immediately after your training session – I presume the Weider Muscle Builder will be exactly that. This is where supplements play a role – you cannot depend on a plate of food to digest in time (max 45 min post exercise) to refuel the muscle stores that you have emptied during a training session. The only other place for a meal replacement supplement is when you do not have time to prepare food and you have to increase your protein intake then another one of these servings stand in for you as a snack meal. Lastly you can include a scoop or two of pure whey with your rolled oats in the morning and on its own before bedtime if you need to further increase your protein intake – it is just convenience!

Thus you can include your meal replacement shake on the days that you train – always immediately after your training and on the other days just fill that gap with normal food to the same calorie value – we usually calculate a person’s calorie need on an average of a week – alternatively if you want to be very precise you can calculate it daily and eat accordingly.

Good luck and happy muscle building!

Vanessa