Posted by: HUH | 2009-04-03

Work with someone who claims to have lost a lot of weight a couple of years ago by not eating proteien and carbs together, i.e. she will have proteien and veg for breakfast, carb and fruit for snack, proteien and veg (salad) for lunch, carb and fruit for snack and proteien and veg for dinner. approx 2,5 hours in between meals. She claims that eating the 2 together does not make one loose weight. According to her, they work " against each other"  and by eating them separately, this causes weight loss. Is this true? I have not seen her before so don' t know if the weightloss is true or was there before she started working with me.

Dear Huh
The idea of separating carbs and proteins has been around for a long time and I have not yet found an scientific basis for this theory. All foods, except white sugar, oils and lard contain a mixture of proteins, fats and carbs, so even when the individual using the diet thinks she is eating only carbs, she will be having some protein at the same time and vice versa. In addition the human digestive track is designed to digest all proteins, carbs and fats and this digestion occurs all along the gi tract, so I don't think this theory is based on any physiological facts. What may happen if you eat as you have described is that: a) you become more aware of what you are eating and may improve your diet, b) if you have 6 small meals a day you will tend to lose weight because research has shown that 'nibblers' lose weight more easily than 'gorgers' provided they eat low-fat, healthy foods for their 6 small meals.