Question
Posted by: sama | 2011/03/23

protection order

my exwife got a protection order against me during the divorce. but now she is calling me and trying to make contact with me (yet i''m not allowed to contact her per protection order)

how do i solve this problem?

please help

Expert ImageFamily law expert

That is a problem, unfortunately the protection order works one way, ie she can contact you and you may not contact her. What you may do is to apply for it to be set aside or to obtain a protection order against her.

Bertus Preller
B.Proc; AD Dip L Law
Family Law Attorney
Abrahams and Gross Inc.
A:1st Floor, 56 Shortmarket Street, Cape Town
O: +27 (0) 21 422 1323
F: 086 572 8373
E: bertus@divorceattorney.co.za; W: www.divorceattorney.co.za; Twitter: www.twitter.com/edivorce; Facebook: www.facebook.com/divorceattorneys

2
Posted by: FIO | 2011/03/23

How does the order state contact must be made? It should make some provision, even if contact be done through attorneys etc?

Is it an interim order, have you defended it or anticipated it?

It may state that you cannot contact her, but may not prevent her from contacting you.

Also, why is she contacting you, what does she want?

You can approach the court and ask for the order to be set aside, or even ask for an amendment to the order to prevent her contacting you, and making provision for means of communication.

Are children involved? If there are then some sort of contact has to be made in order to facilitate the needs of the children.

Reply to FIO
Posted by: family law expert | 2011/03/23

Bertus Preller
B.Proc; AD Dip L Law
Family Law Attorney
Abrahams and Gross Inc.
O: +27 (0) 21 422 1323
F: 086 572 8373

Reply to family law expert