Question
Posted by: Mother Lion | 2010/08/23

Protecting my child

I escaped an emotionally and verbally abusive marriage and divorced 6 years ago. After her father slammed the phone down on her on Saturday, my 9 year old daughter was severely traumatised and wouldn''t stop crying. In the discussion that followed, she poured her heart out about how afraid of her father she is, how she was afraid he would " do something bad or stupid again"  and that he " would murder her hamsters" . Through much of what she told me about various incidents (which until now she hasn''t mentioned), I can see that she is modifying her behaviour to keep her father calm and happy. I will do anything to protect her from the emotional hell he put me through but I am seeing the signs that he has started to manipulate and bully her. My first step this morning has been to arrange for her to see a counsellor as soon as possible. My second step I think, should be to get advice from a family lawyer - where do I go about finding the right one, do I have any legal options - is it worth while to get supervised visits when she goes to her father? If so, how do I go about this? Can she as a minor apply for a protection order if need be, or would I have to do this on her behalf? If my daughter does not want to visit her father, can he force her to? It states in our divorce contract that she go to him every second weekend.

Thanks and regards,

Mother Lion

Expert ImageFamily law expert

The Children's Act afford the possibility to suspend the parental rights of a party pending an investigation by the family advocate, counsellor or other appropriate person. Thus, you can apply to court to have his rights suspended pending a report from the aforementioned people. Remember that the most important consideration should always be "what is in the best interests of the child"

Bertus Preller
www.divorceattorney.co.za
info@divorceattorney.co.za

1
Posted by: family law expert | 2010/08/28

Bertus Preller
www.divorceattorney.co.za
info@divorceattorney.co.za

Reply to family law expert