Question
Posted by: Worried | 2013-01-07

Prostrate reading

Recently I picked up a virus/infection that hit me badly.I''m in my late 30" s. Blood tests were carried out in hospital and the PSA reading for my prostate was sky high. The specialist, Urologist, wanted to do a biopsy to either confirm or not, prostate cancer. I declined. Later, when feeling better I consulted my GP who said that because of the virus etc my " readings"  would be way off. He did blood tests and the result was all clear re prostate. I''m concerned. Why was the specialist concerned, yet the GP had a different opinion. The GP said I should keep an eye on my readings. Is there cause for unnecessary concern ? Surely the Urologist must have known about readings being unreliable because of my infection ?

Was the urologist fully aware that you had been suffering from some serious virus infection a the time ? Maybe the GP could call him and reveal the results of the new tests, and ask for confirmation that this indicates a likelihood that there is not serious prostate pathology at this time ? Maybe suggest to them both that the tests be repeated in a few months time, and those fresh results be acted on ?
Presumably the urologist examined you thoroughly, including a rectal exam, and he may have felt a lump that fitted with the blood tests at that time. There can be different causes for a prostate lump, but they shouln't be ignored. Has your GP done a similar examination, and what did he find ? Anyway, wouldn't it be useful to suggest that the GOP discuss your concerns with the urologust ?

2
Posted by: Worried | 2013-01-08

Thank you very much for the valuable feedback. Yes, the Urologist was fully aware of the infection and that has been of concern to me considering his opinion at that time, I would have thought he would have taken that into account. I will most certainly follow up with the tests and get my GP to discuss it further with the Urologist. My late father passed away as the result of prostate cancer, so that too has been a worrying factor.

Reply to Worried
Posted by: XXX | 2013-01-08

I am no expert but would think that an infection could possibly effect your PSA readings,however,I would certainly keep an eye on it and have a retest in a couple of months.
I cycle and was advised not to do so for 2-3 days before I have the test as it can elevate it,so be careful.
I have had the biopsy done and it is not pleasant but I guess it can save one''s life.

Reply to XXX