Posted by: Tess | 2009-06-29

Prostrate cancer

Hi- my 5 yr old GreatDane has just had a whole lot of tests the result ofwhich,is that his prostrate is very enlarged and he hasblood in hisbladder. My vet doesn' t know if cancer for sure and hasgiven some options. 1) Do a biopsy, which involves quite an op, 2) treat for an infection - just in case not cancer, ortake him to a specialist who is equipped for doing extensive tests. I just don' t know what to do. Do I leave him and let him live out his life or go for all these tests and then,if he has cancer - what then?? Any advice

Dear Tess

If your male has not been neutered it is likely to be an enlargement of the prostate that will dissapear if you have him neutered. If he has been neutered I would suggest an biopsy.

Hi thanks for all the comments and advice. No he has not been neutered. My vet does notfeel there is anything that can be done,except keep him comfortable. He did not mention having him neutered as he says the tumour is very big. I think I will lookfor a 2nd opinion. Many thanks.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-06-29

I quite agree that you shouldn' t wait and see.

If it' s an infection, then a course of the correct antibiotics should show results in a matter of a few days.

Infections have other diagnostic markers - raised temp, increased white cell count, pus in the urine, to name a few.

Why not consult a specialist if your vet has suggested it? At least you' d probably get clarity that way.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: steph | 2009-06-29

Prostate cancer in dogs is VERY aggressive,but also pretty uncommon. you can' t really just leave your dog to "  live out his life"  that merely translates into "  let him die" . cancer can be treated in pets, it' s just often quite expensive. your dog is really young for this sort of thing. have you not had him neutered? what does your vet think is the best course of treatment?

Reply to steph