Posted by: Mrs T | 2011-08-09

My husband has rising PSA since 2006 (went down to 5.8 and up to 7.5). Had a template biopsy and found tiny amount of cancer in anterior less than 1mm - gleason 3.3. Told so small pathology had to test twice. Also told that millions of men could be walking around with this much, autopsys on 30 year old men often show this amount. Told this amount of cancer would not explain high PSA level. Fair enough! They ''think'' therefore my husband has prostatitis and BHE which wasn''t picked up in urine etc because non bacterial. He''s been given a month of antibiotics and will test PSA after the course of medication - hopefully PSA will go down. However, I have read that non bacterial prostatitis doesn''t respond to antibiotics. I feel we are yet again in ''limbo land''! Will we ever be sure of what''s wrong? He''s never had any real difficulties with water works or in any pain bad enough to go to the doctors. PSA test was first performed 8 years ago by a well man clinic and since then we''ve been on the horrible wierd journey. The nurse says that if PSA doesn''t go down we may have to consider bracytherapy, this seems a bit drastic at this stage, apparently there''ll be no more biopies because they don''t like keep proding the prostate with needles. Again fair enough. Is there anything else you can suggest and what is your comment/feelings on the treatment prescribed pleas?

Mrs T

I recommend that you consult an urologist for a second opinion. The PSA levels are elevated, which could be due to a sterile prostatitis/viral prostatitis. Continue with the antibiotics until you get a second opinion from a urologist.