Question
Posted by: Peanut | 2008/08/14

Prostatic cancer - should I worry?

Knowing that a proper diagnosis can only be made by a doctor, I want some guidance whether it is REALLY necessary to see one. I am one of the growing thousands who can no longer afford medical aid rates so I can only afford to visit a doctor when it is absolutely vital - hence my question.

These concern me: I' m 55, a recovering alcoholic (7yrs dry), a seriously chronic depressive (Cymbalta 60mg/day, Rivotril &  Zopiclone nightly). My sex drive is virtually non-existent but I masturbate once to three times a month. I have chronic high uric acid levels (unable to secrete normal production) and treat gout etc. symptomatically with anti-inflammatories (diclophenac) and ibuprofen.

I am increasingly finding myself unable to contain urine, and completing a wee is taking longer and longer, From time to time the stream is interrupted and it is often " reluctant"  to copmplete. There is no pain associated and no cloudiness in the urine itself. I have no history of cancer on my father' s side though my mother died haemorrhagic pelvic cancer caused by Paget' s disease.

Thanx
Aiden

Dear Peanut
This could be symptoms of Prostatism, enlargement of the prostate causing pressure on the urine tube (urethra). An examination by a GP will confirm this (and will be the cheapest). Cancer can be excluded by a PSA blood test and a physical examination of the prostate. This can exclude cancer 99%. I know having a prostate examination is very unpleasant and most men avoid it like the plague but it is really, really important and is over in 5 minutes. There is medication one can use like Proscar ( the generic is much cheaper) to shrink the prostate and this will clear up the symptoms too.

2
Posted by: Nicola | 2008/08/14

This kind of problem can definitely damage the kidneys, so it needs to be sorted out quickly.

Reply to Nicola
Posted by: billy | 2008/08/14

Buy yourself, Promato( extract from tomatoes )

Reply to billy