Posted by: Flower | 2009-08-03

Prostate removed (please help)

Hey doc, my father in law had his prostate removed about 2 and a half years ago, since then he has been leaking urine, he has been back to the doc many times but yet there is no solution to this. Now there is some more that ads to this, he tested positive for Parkinson and he shows some sighs of altzzimers, the doctor he is seeing apparently said there is a part of the brain that is dead, and this just ads to the stress.... he is not very hygienically clean on himself, he does not bath and when my mother in law tells him to go and clean him self up he gets angry and swears at her, she only spoke to me about it today, and she is really tired and depressed over all this, so she suggested to their children that maybe he should be put in a home...and now they are angry with her.. And finds the idea most disagreeable.

Is there something medically that can be done for him to solve the problem?

Dear Flower
It is difficult to say - it could be a side effect of the prostate operation he had and only a urology examination will confirm if it is treatable or not ( has he been back to the urologist many times?) You can get special pants at dischem for a leaking bladder that works like a baby's nappy. The children may need to help her to get him bathed daily if they are not willing to agree to placing him in a home - and she is not able to care for him physically or emotionally. Discuss with his GP - there may be medication he can take to calm him down and to help him to keep urine in better. However it must be evaluated in the light of his current medical problems and current medication he is taking.