Question
Posted by: SG | 2012/01/25

Prostate removal

I have had an enlarged prostate for some years now,fortunately my psa reading is still in the normal range,that is,3,2.
However,I do have a "  slow"  stream when urinating.My urologist indicated the last time I visited him that it I would have to have it removed in the foreseeable future.I am due to see him next month again &  would just like to know what the latest developments are in terms of the "  removal"  ,ie can it be done by laser etc
He previously mentioned to me that he inserts some sort of "  wire"  contraption with a small scissors on the end and essentially cuts it up (all done through the penis OUCH).I then have a catherter for about 3-4 days to help drain the blood etc.
This all sounds horrific to me and wondered if it cannot be done via a laser or something more advanced than that-in need I would go to another city to get it done.
I have had 2 hernia ops previously &  whilst the first one was in the usual old fashioned way ie a cut to get to repair it,the second one was done by laser and 2 -3 small incision''''s-the recovery time was MUCH better.
Any comments/advice would be great pls.I did put this on the " Cyberdoc"  forum but he/she has not done any updates for several days.

I would unfortunately have to ask you to trust the urologists as they do this type of procedure routinely. Perhaps you need to have a second opinion just to get more information and put your mind at rest. A second opinion is often a good idea.

6
Posted by: xyz | 2012/01/26

Enlarge prostate, the biggest killer of men, cancer starts in the prostate, you will get up more than two times a night to have a pee, the stream will be very weak and you will have trouble to start to pee, well that is only a few I can think off, best is to GOOGLE it and read for yourself.

Reply to xyz
Posted by: khomo | 2012/01/26

Can anybody tell me what actually the problem is with an enlarged prostate ?What effects does it have on Men.?.

Reply to khomo
Posted by: xyz | 2012/01/26

I still think you must go for a second opion. See a Dr. Steinman at Wilgers Hospital Pretoria, you dony say what age are you.

Reply to xyz
Posted by: SG | 2012/01/26

He says it is too enlarged and will create further problems as time goes by !

Reply to SG
Posted by: xyz | 2012/01/26

Before you go for this op get a second opion, from where are you, why does he want to remove it with a PSA of 3,2,

Reply to xyz
Posted by: sexologist | 2012/01/26

Reply to sexologist