Posted by: SG | 2012-01-25

Prostate removal

I have had an enlarged prostate for some years now,fortunately my psa reading is still in the normal range,that is,3,2.
However,I do have a " slow"  stream when urinating.My urologist indicated the last time I visited him that it I would have to have it removed in the foreseeable future.I am due to see him next month again &  would just like to know what the latest developments are in terms of the " removal" ,ie can it be done by laser etc
He previously mentioned to me that he inserts some sort of " wire"  contraption with a small scissors on the end and essentially cuts it up (all done through the penis OUCH).I then have a catherter for about 3-4 days to help drain the blood etc.
This all sounds horrific to me and wondered if it cannot be done via a laser or something more advanced than that-in need I would go to another city to get it done.
I have had 2 hernia ops previously &  whilst the first one was in the usual old fashioned way ie a cut to get to repair it,the second one was done by laser and 2 -3 small incision''s-the recovery time was MUCH better.
Any comments/advice would be great pls.

Unfortunately, transurethral resection is done by using a small wire and scissors to perform the operation. This is currently still the best way of doing it and yield very good results.