Posted by: Mia | 2009-01-29

prostate cancer and falling pregnant

My partner was diagnosed with prostate cancer 3 years ago. He received chemo for it and has been clean now for 2 years. His sperm count is very low now. Do you think we can still fall pregnant or will it not be possible after having prostate cancer?

Dear Mia

The actual level of sperm count and sperm morphology would dictate the type of treatment that might be necessary. However the fact that sperm are released in the ejaculate would certainly bode well for a pregnancy even though assisted reproductive technology would be necessary such as in-vitro fertilization or even ICSI (intracytoplasmic sperm injection). This should best be discussed with a fertility specialist.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim