Posted by: Julia | 2009-07-08

Prostate cancer

My father recently went through Brachytherapy to treat his Prostate Cancer. His prostate levels since then have dropped a lot - from 24 to 9! So we are happy about that.
But now the doctors say he must still have external beam radiation treatment.
I' m just wondering - do you think he would need 25 sessions of it? Or would a few be enough?
I know it' s difficult to say because every patient is different, but I was just wondering if it is possible for someone to only require a few treatments since they have had the internal beam already?

Thanks for your time.

Hi Julia
I think what they will do is book him for 25 but obviously they will review it from time to time and stop when it is no more necessary. No oncologist would let a patient get unnecessary radiation treatments