Question
Posted by: Claire | 2012-06-18

Prospan during pregnancy

Dear Doc

I am 6 weeks pregnant.

I have a cough and feel chesty. Is it safe for me to be using Prospan?

Prospan is made from dried ivy leaves. Since ivy contains small amounts of emetine, it is not recommended during pregnancy, as this specific alkaloid may increase uterine contractions.

4

I am pregnant and I was from the Dr and he prescribed prospan for my cough, I would like to know if it will do any harm to my baby.

Posted by: SAMANTHA | 2014-06-18

HI I AM 15 WEEKS PREGNANT AND HAVE THIS HORRIBLE WIPPING COUGH IS PROSPAN SAFE TO TAKE ? WHAT IS OKAY TO TAKE PLEASE HELP ME , MY BLADDER GETS SO FULL THAT I URANATE ALL THE TYM UNCONTROLABLY, PLAES HELP I CANT EVEN SLEPP WHAT IS GOOD TO TAKE ALSO GTS CRAMPS SOME TYMS IS MY BBY HARMED BY MY COUGH?

Reply to SAMANTHA
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2012-06-22

Posted by: Annie | 2012-06-18

With my previous pregnancy our GP precribed Prospan for my husband and told us she is prescribing the big bottle so that we have something in the house that I can use and also the new born will be able to use.

But perhaps check with the Pharmacist too, as gynedoc takes a long time to answer.

Reply to Annie