Question
Posted by: cynthia | 2011/03/13

pros and cons of the IUD loop

i would like to get pregnant in june will it be safe for me to use the Loop as a contraceptive> if not what can i use

The loop is a more long term option as it would have to be inserted and then removed after 3 months. A better short term option would be the Pill or condoms.

2

Posted by: Jane | 2011/03/14

Hi Cynthia

The loop could be an option but I don''t know why you would want to go for that option specifically. Is there any specific reason?

Thing is, the loop is a " longer term"  solution for contraception. Some of them stay in for 3 - 5 years before needing to be replaced. You can conceive immediately after getting it removed (though your body might take some time to stabilize). But that said, it could be quite expensive for 3 months.

Then you the option of birth control tablets. I am not an expert on that and perhaps your doctor can prescribe a pill suited for your needs, but with most birth control pills, it can also take 2 -3 months for your body to adjust to the pills, which in your case, is around the time that you would stop using them to try and conceive. This could also influence the time it takes for you to conceive as it might influence your hormone balance.

The last option which might not be the best on a personal basis, but might be your best option, is using condoms. That way, you can have full control over it and once June comes around (only 3 months), you just simply stop using them. Your body should be on a pretty normal hormone level anyways and you should have no problem conceiving.

Hope this helps.

Reply to Jane