Posted by: JP | 2009-09-30

proper food for parrot

Hi doc, I have a 4 moth old female Eclectus Parrot. I was wondering what a proper balanced diet would consist of as she is still quite young, so I want to make sure she is ready to be weened off baby food and is ready to live on adult maintenance pellets and assorted fruits.

I can' t tell precisely what variant she is because she has traits of the Solomon Island as well as the Vosmaeri subspecies. I don' t know if these details are important, but I' d rather give too much than too little.

Dear JP

unable to help you with this one. Do some research on the web.

Posted by: TVR | 2009-11-20

Nutribird is the best - I leave those pellets a bowl in the cage and fill the other bowl with fresh fruit and veg.

NO avo and horse radish!!!

My baby LOVES grapes!!! and half a fresh mealie.

Reply to TVR
Posted by: JP | 2009-10-05

I gave her some boiled egg, apple and a little bit of hand-rearing porridge on Saturday. I got some great advice from this lady who specialises in Eclectus parrots and she reckons feeding them lots of sprouts, beans and fresh fruit will keep them healthy. They also apparently need more fresh fruit and less seed/nut mix than most other parrot species. The new regimen seems to be working like a charm, so I' m going to stick to it. I will try to phase out the porridge over the next two months, because she' ll be 6 months old then.

Reply to JP
Posted by: Carol | 2009-10-02

Spot on Chill .. that about covers it :)

Thats roughly what my gang eat .. I also give mine a cooked bean mixture.... (a variety of dried means and peas that I cook fro them )

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Chill | 2009-09-30

I have an African Grey, so am interested in the subject, but have found that every single parrot owner seems convinced that his or her regimen is the only correct one... do a bit of reading on the web, and you' ll see what I mean.

For what it' s worth, my bird - who has been with me for nearly two decades - eats a mix of parrot pellets, sunflower seed (no need to tell me how utterly mindblowingly dreadful that is - he' s still getting it) and fresh fruits and vegetables - a variety every day, not just ' a bit of apple now and then' . He has two unshelled peanuts and a couple of almonds every day too, and he likes an occasional dogbiscuit or some dog chunks, a bit of Marie biscuit, a little dab of peanut butter, occasionally a little piece of cheese, a chicken bone (cooked), and a bit of toast, specially with some jam on it.

HIs favourite fruits are guavas, strawberries, orange/naartjie and grenadillas (though he gets others too), and he loves a green bean, a bit of cauliflower, courgette and especially carrot.

I don' t give him lettuce, definitely no avocado, no chocolate and nothing spicy.

Oh yes, parrots absolutely love red/green chillies, too...

Reply to Chill