Question
Posted by: Kate | 2012-03-15

Pronunciation of Traits

Is traits pronounced traits or trais with a silent ''t''?

I'm tempted to say that the T is silent as in "fish".
Seriously, it IS pronounced, as TraiT, just like RoboT ( I don't know where the "Robo" conceit came from, maybe a false assumption that it was a word of French rather than Greek origin ).
Next to the Robot ( a word mainly used in SA, mind you ) stood a Hobot, carrying a Trait of Trays ?

4

Posted by: Kate | 2012-03-16

I''ve never heard about it being pronounced as trias with a silent ''t'' but my sister has informed me that her English teacher says the correct pronunciation is ''Trais''.
I think its rather silly though.

She gave this whole french explanation but still, we speaka da english.

Robos ... sounds odd.

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Purple | 2012-03-16

Have always wondered that myself as I say it with the T but have heard many say it without.

I wondered if it was like " robots"  which some people say without the T, but which is actually a word of greek origina and the T should be pronounced.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Liza | 2012-03-15

It''s pronounced how it''s spelt. The t is not silent.

Reply to Liza