Posted by: Sensible | 2012-01-31

Prone to nightmares

Hello Prof, too late for new year wishes? Hope not. Hope you had a nice, well deserved rest at the end of last year. Just wanted to know if there is anything one can do to stop nightmares. I am in a very relaxed state, no stress, and overall things going fine. I also don''t read or watch horror stuff but I keep having nightmares, average once a week. I have having nightmares ever since I can remember.Is there some sort of therapy? Enjoy the rest of your day...

Its NEVER too late for good wishes. Indeed I'm still accepting them for last year....
Nightmares are indeed puzzling. Sometimes they arise when there are obvious causes and thus obvious remedies, and some meds, including older antidepressants can cause them or make them worse.
A pchitrist or neurologist could asess the situation and check out possible causes. You don't mention if there is a recurring theme(s) in the dreams, which sometimes gives a clue. Oddly, one can sometimes decide to change the ending of bad dreams, by concentrating, as one goes to sleep, on how the frightening situation could end mre pleasantly. For instance, I once worked with an ex-soldier who had recurring nightmares of bein ambushed, and he quickly learned to change the end of the dream, so the enemy's guns and rifles all turned to spaghetti, and drooped harmlessly

Posted by: TAMS | 2012-02-13

i have been swelling since i was pregnant with my first child, now 32 years later it still happens, mosty feet , ankles and hands. my doctor told me it just happens with some people! so i have been drinking a water tablet ever since.

Reply to TAMS
Posted by: Sensible | 2012-01-31

Thank you for the response. I don''t really have recurring dreams, just different but terrifying ones. I believe what you are saying that changing the end of a bad dream might really work if I concentrate on happy endings. I''ve never thought it that way, thanks. I love the spaghetti rifles ending, it gives me hope. Maybe next time some alien dwarfs I dreamt about will turn into marshmallows. Many thanks.

Reply to Sensible