Question
Posted by: Schalk | 2010/12/07

Prolotherapy

Hi doc

I''m 23 old male with, it would seem, bad knees. In matric i tore my right acl, had it repaired and although there are a few cracks now and again it seems healthy. 2 Months ago I strained my mcl in my left knee. I went to consult an orthopaedic surgeon he told me to take it easy for 6weeks where after I could return to normal exercise. A week and a half ago, 8 weeks after the initial injury, I attempted to run but as I tried to stop felt the mcl extending. Did not hear a sound out of knee when it happened. Swelling followed but this time the swelling subsided much faster as well as flexibility returning much sooner than the initial injury. I do not want operate the knee as I feel it is not needed as pain levels are to low to justify an invasive procedure I have started researching prolotherapy and would like to find out more about what your opinion is on the viability of prolotherapy being an alternative to surgery?

Schalk

Expert ImageOsteopath

Hello Schalk,
The prolotherapy technique involves the injection of a proliferant (a mild irritant solution) that causes an inflammatory response. The growth of new ligament and tendon tissue is then stimulated. This may be a way of addressing localised damage but it does not address why you keep getting injured. May I suggest you rather consult with your local osteopath who will thoroughly address the biomechanics of your body and in particularly your legs. Your type of injury is likely to ber occuring because of imbalances in your lower extremities.

4
Posted by: C T | 2016/02/09

HI, I have been diagnosed with OA in the right hip. The X rays show narrow spacing and osteophytes. Pain at night and at times in day which improve with medication. I walk with a limp as i have had the pain for 18 months, but limitation in movement for years, although functionally it did not bother too much. Stage 4 now apparently. Weight bearing and external rotation and bending causes extra pain. I do not generally take pain killers , rather battle the pain, except if becomes too bad. I also have some S1, S2, L2, L2 implication and often have some pain on the right side in lumbar area. Originally went to chiropractor and physio for my back. Yhat is now much better. Will I benefit from prolotherapy or stem cell therapy? Thank you all

Reply to C T
Posted by: Andus | 2015/06/27

Do you know if anyone is using ADSC injections for cartilage regenation in the Western Cape region?

Reply to Andus
Posted by: Leon | 2011/01/13

Good day,

Do you perhaps know of anyone who performs prolitherapy in Cape Town or surrounds?

Thank You,
Leon

Reply to Leon
Posted by: osteopath | 2010/12/08

Hello Schalk,

Reply to osteopath