Question
Posted by: Unpleasant Prospects | 2009-02-01

Prolapse rectum

I have been battling with IBS for years and now have developed the unpleasant side affect of a prolapsed rectum. Having researched the causes, condition and treatment there of - it appears that I must go for surgery. But I am hesitant - obviously, as it must be one of the most unpleasant operations known to patients and doctors alike - so my question is - what if I do not have surgery ... are there risks of developing cancer in the rectum if the whole ugly mess is left unattended for years? I particularly worry about infection what with the bleeding and feces.

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

Prefarably you should have the operation done, as you stand the risk of severe infections, development of ulcers and the development of cancer.