Question
Posted by: Malcolm | 2009-11-07

Prolactinoma

My girlfriend' s mother suffers from a pituitary tumour, which I understand is hereditary. I have done some research on such tumours and have found that my girlfriend is experiencing some of those symptoms. In January she had some blood tests done and her hormonal levels were found to be ok, despite the fact that she experiences irregular menstruation periods, a common symptom of a prolactinoma. I need some advice. Should she have more blood tests conducted and should she consult a doctor and have a CT scan or MRI done?

Malcolm

Blood tests are often normal and therefore, it will be best to have a CT scan or MRI of the brain done, in order to confirm or to exclude Prolactinoma.