Question
Posted by: Jackie | 2010/06/01

prolactin tumor/depression

10 years ago i was diagnosed with a macroprolactinoma and have been on cronic medication ever since. I started with parlodel and then moved on to dostinex which i now take 1 tablet twice a week. About 2 years ago i went to see a phsycologist because i just wasn''t feeling myself and i was told i was suffering from depression. I was prescribed zoloft which seemed to do the trick. In the last year i have found myself in some financial squeeze and have been unable to afford my dostinex (R1000.00 per month)on a regular basis. I know this is not good and i shouldn''t go on and off, but i havn''t really had much choice. What i want to know is 1. What effect does my tumor have on depression? and 2. Is there anything else i can do about it as i feel like i''m back where i was 2 years ago.

This is a realyl uncommon tumour, and its precise relationship to depression isn't as clear as we might wish. And much would depend on how well the meds are controlling the unusual hormone effects. CBT counselling could help the depression and coping skills in a non-chemical way. And if you need an antidepressant, there are many varieties, some in generic forms which are notably cheaper, which might suit you just as well, But you'd need to discuss this with your psychiatrist

1