Question
Posted by: CAT | 2009-06-09

prolactin test

Hi Doc,

hi hope you will be able to help me, i went to my GP nad explained symptoms wich is that i have sore swollen breasts and i have milk in them, my periods should have started but i am still waiting for it to happen, about two weeks ago i had a vaginal disgarge wich was very thik and a brown colour, and i am kind of moody, my GP thought that i was pregnant and he did blood tests and a urine test, the urine test came out clean with no bladder or kidney infections, my blood tests came back with negative rasults for pracnancy. Now he wants to send me for prolactin tests.

I would just like to know what exactly prolactin tests are. i Would also like to know if all these symptoms can be linked to ovarian cysts, i have a friend that had the same symptoms and they discoveredthat she has cysts. All my symptoms is also accompanied by lower back pain or rather it feels numb and i go to the loo like every 5 min.

Can you also advice me if i should go for the prolactin test or for a ultrasound scan?

Your help and advice will really be appreciated

Dear CAT
Prolactin is a hormone that is made by the pituitary gland in the brain and it causes swollen breasts and milk production. So a prolactin test is probably the right thing to do with your symptoms. You do also have a few symptoms that can be due to ovarian cyst, so I would also suggest doing the ultrasound of the pelvis.