Posted by: Candy | 2009-01-14

Prolactin levels High?

I am a 27 year old female with a child of 10 years old.
I went to see my gynae last year September just for a check up and papsmear as I hadn' t had one before that for about 8years everything was ok on the papsmear results but I explained to the gynae that I had milk after giving birth breastfed and it dissappeared when my daughter was 3mnths old I stopped breatfeeding I then noticed when she was five that I still have milk and my daughter is already 10years old. he tested my Prolactin and the levels were high he put me on medication which cost R236.00 for two tablets of which I had to take 1/2 tablet twice a week and my medical aid was not paying for it I had to pay cash and at the same time my specialist benefit became exhausted so I have not managed to see him again. What I would like to know is should I worry about this oris it Ok if I just leave it though the only problem is my breats are getting bigger.Can this affect me in anyway if I would like to have another child.I have also lost interest in having sex I see i just dont feel like it does this have anything to do with the high level of Prolactin or would that be something else.

It is not okay to just leave this. High prolactin indicates a tumour of the milk producing gland, which can cause many problems if not treated, including not being able to fall pregnant.

Posted by: Candy | 2009-01-16

Sorry one more thing I have a feeling that this High Prolactin level story of mine has been high for a very long time what I need to find out is how would I know if I have had a miscarriage if it has already happened. Cause there were times it sure seemed like it and I just thought maybe a heavy flow but since I googled a bit seems like it could also cause miscarriage is there anyway I would know now if it has happened before???

Reply to Candy
Posted by: Chevelle | 2009-01-15

I know high prolactin levels can cause infertility as the chances are that you' re not ovulating. Google prolactin levels and infertility and you will see a whole lot of info regarding this.

Reply to Chevelle