Posted by: Dee | 2009-07-21

prolactin high- not preg

I suffered an ectopic in Jan, had 2 normal cycles in Feb, March and spotted for 2 days in April but had no period since. My husband and I are trying to fall pregnant again.

I went in to the GP a month ago for hormone testing and he found my prolactin level too high - my result is 24 mircograms which is in the high category. what should it be for a healthy 28yr old that is not pregnant? Doc wants to do tests again this week to compare my results but hasn' t really told me anything about prolactin.

What do recommend I do?

Dear Dee

A high prolactin level can cause anovulation such as in your case were no period has occurred since April. The prolactin may settle on it’s own and therefore you doctor wants to do the test again. If the prolactin level is still in the high category and that the period has not returned back to normal then your doctor will generally put you on medication that is highly effective in decreasing your prolactin level back to normal.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Posted by: Dee | 2009-07-21

Sorry Doc mistyped 24micrograms and not 14micrograms :)

Reply to Dee