Posted by: LD | 2009-03-21

Prognosis for future

I have been diagnosed with osteopenia in my left hip - the part where the top of the leg fits in! so it is actually the part which supports the leg joint -my doctor said a hip replacement is not possible because of this. Can nothing be done? Assuming my condition gets worse the older I get? I am on Fosavance previously Fosamax and take calcium. Feel frustrated as when one has a bone density scan one cannot talk to the specialist.
I am 66.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear LD
Please phone me at the Osteoporosis Foundation on 021 9317894 and fax your scan results to me if you can 021 9317075. I just need some more information from you before I can give sensible advice.

Posted by: Healthy Bones | 2009-04-07

Dear LD
received your scan etc.
I notice that you have moderate osteopenia in the femur necks- and that the spine and total bone density in the femurs are normal. You also have marked osteo-arthritis in the hip joints, hence the possible need for a hip replacement. There is absolutely no reason why a hip replacement cannot be done- your bone density is not that bad. The one important thing is to stop the bisphophonate (Fosavance) treatment at least 3-4 months prior to surgery. Hope this helps? Otherwise contact me at the Foundation

Reply to Healthy Bones