Question
Posted by: Ayesha | 2011/05/19

Progesterone high but neg pregnancy.. Late periods

Slms...
I''m not pregnant... But missed by period by 3 weeks now. Was waiting to get my period to start ivf but for the first time its late. My progesterone levels are high but I''m def not pregnant. My dr said my uterus lining is a 6. Do I have cancer? Or what''s going on..? I''m so confused.,

Dear Ayesha

The most likely cause of high progesterone and delayed period is the presence of a corpus luteum which is producing the progesterone and in more specific terms it is referred to a persistent corpus luteum. The cause is usually related to delayed ovulation and failure of the natural follicle/cyst to subside and disappear when there is no pregnancy established. However in some cases the body fails to recognize the absence of a pregnancy and continues to produce the progesterone resulting in the delayed onset of menstruation and typically with the symptoms that you are experiencing.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2011/05/26

Dear Ayesha

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert