Question
Posted by: Joe | 2011/06/07

Product Ranges

Does more specialised/expensive products like Matis and Dermalogica work better/provide noteably benefit to products you find in Clicks (like Johnson& Johnson, Loreal, IQ, etc.). When I went for a facial the beautician said these specialised products work way better and the others are a waste of money and actually can do damage. Your view on this?

Then lastly, how do once choose between say Dermalogica, Matis, etc. ?

Thank you.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Joe, thank you for the question and my apologies for the delay with my response.

I am a firm believer that one does not have to pay high prices for a ‘good’ topical product. You should look out for a topical range with proven active ingredients that benefit the skin such as alphahydroxy acids, polyhydroxy acids, vitamin C, vitamin A (or its derivatives), vitamin E, peptides and growth factors (such as apple stem cells).

An excellent range but still within a reasonable price range is NeoStrata (especially their new Skin Active range) however similar ingredients can be found with Environ, Nimue, IS Clinical, etc.

Typically (and as a general rule) commercially available products do not have high concentrations of active ingredients because of the potential of causing skin reactions and as such one should look for doctor only dispensed topical ranges to get the highest concentrations of active ingredients.

1
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2011/06/18

Reply to anti-ageing expert