Question
Posted by: Sue | 2009-04-13

Product for upper lip - wrinkles

Hello Doc
A am developing one or two very feint vertical wrinkles on my upper lip - it is terrible and I have to do something about it before it gets worse! I am 35. Which lip treatment product would you recommend for this area specifically? Something in the R200 to R300 price range. I really can' t afford Botox or Restalyne.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Sue, thank you for the question.

The upper lip lines are difficult to treat generally as they are caused by the pursing action of the lips (smoking, whistling, kissing, etc.) and they are potentiated by sun damage and collagen & elastin loss in the skin. The best treatment options for this area would be laser, dermal fillers (Juvederm or Restylane), Botox or a combination of these three treatments. As all cosmetic treatments are a financial consideration first my advice would be as follows:
A good SPF 30 or higher that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide
High strength glycolic acid and polyhydroxy acid topical (NeoStrata Ultra Smoothing Cream)
Vitamin A (Retin A or NeoStrata Renewal Cream)
Monthly glycolic acid peels – one may consider performing the chemical peel on the upper lip only to reduce costs.