Question
Posted by: Curious | 2011/02/01

Product comparison - oily skin

I am trying to decide on the best product range for oily skin. I see that NeoStrata, Nimue and Environ are often recommended, as is Dermatalogia. Which of these is the best, and how much can I expect to invest in a full range? I don''t want to spend a fortune on skin care, but I do want reasonable quality.

Also, can you get just one or two good products, then use some standard ones, so it''s not so heavy on the wallet?

Thanks!

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Curious, thank you for the question.

All the ranges you mentioned have specific lines for oily and/or acne prone skin. An excess of oil is due to an increased sebum production which is typically associated with an increased number and size of pores on the skin and an increased number of bacteria.

Generally speaking the best approach to treat this is as follows:
Firstly all products (topical creams, makeup, sunscreen, etc.) should be oil free and I typically recommend that everyone avoids exfoliation type products (granular washes, scrubs, etc.)
Secondly a good face was (such as NeoStrata Clarifying Cleanser) used twice daily should be used with a gentle (no hard scrubbing) approach
I would start with the above regime and if no improvement is noted in 6 to 8 weeks one can add a topical product such as NeoStrata Oil Control Gel and consider glycolic acid peels every 6 to 8 weeks.

I hope the above has helped but ultimately you may want to consider consulting a cosmetic dermatologist or an aesthetic medical practitioner who can examine the skin and advise you on the best treatment approach.

1
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2011/02/02

Hi Curious, thank you for the question.

Reply to anti-ageing expert