Question
Posted by: Ashleigh | 2011/11/05

processed foods

Hey Doc
I have a big tummy n I would like to eliminate it ASAP. I heard that a big TUMMY is caused by eating too much sugar n processed foods, so I have already cut bicuits, chocolates n ice-cream from ma diet N BREAD coz I heard its bad. Im a bit confused about the " processed foods '' category. Is all bran flakes processed ?? I also saw Vital Muesli n Im thinkin of buyin it but is it also processed ?? Please clarify. I want this tummy gone. one more Question - brown rice, is it also processed?? I also heard one should NOT eat somethin dat goes bad after 5 days ????confused coz what am I gonna eat ?????

sorry for the long questions.

Dear Ashleigh
All food that is sold commercially (i.e. not made at home or grown in your garden) is unfortunately 'processed'. So All Bran flakes, Vital Muesli and brown rice are all processed, but they are excellent foods which contain a lot of dietary fibre and protective nutrients, so they can be used to eat in a weightloss diet. To lose weight all round you need to cut out those foods that have a high fat content, so avoiding biscuits, chocolates, and ice cream, as well as other high-fat foods (cream, butter, margarine, fatty meat, pies, cakes, etc) is a good one. Avoiding bread, esp so-called low-glycaemic index (GI) bread is not really going to help your weightloss. Try eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise for 30 min a day(running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). Also include targeted exercises like sit-ups to tighten your stomach muscles and reduce your tummy. If you buy a food and don't put it in the fridge and it goes bad or rotten in 5 days, then you won't want to eat it anyway. I think the message is that it is a good idea to try and eat fresh foods, esp fesh fruits and vegetables. Buy fruit and vegetables more often than other foods so that they are as fresh as possible when you eat them.
I do hope you will lose the tummy!

1

Dear Ashleigh
I do hope you will lose the tummy!