Question
Posted by: Pixie | 2013-02-15

ProBLocka

My doc has just put me on pro blocka to treat my anxiety and panic attacks. She says there are no side effects and that I need to check my pulse first to make sure its 70 or higher.

I am going to start seeing someone about CBT as well as I really need to get a handle on my anxiety.

How effective are beta blockers in the treatment of anxiety/panic attacks? My symptoms are either shakiness, hunger, nausea, feeling like my throat is constricted. I normally know when its coming is I either feel " fluttery inside"  or start feeling very hungry when I know I shouldnt and then I start panicking about getting too hungry. If I don''t feel the symptoms then I feel fine.

Everything has SOME side-effects in Someone, but some meds have a very low rate of significant side-effects when used in the right dose. Beta blockers can be useful but SOLELY in controlling many of the PHYSICAL symptoms of anxiety and panic attacks - they have no effect at all on the psychological / feeling components. So they can reduce or relieve the shakiness, sweating, rapid pulse, nausea, so as you seem to find the early symptoms trigger off the rest of the attack, controlling these symptoms could be really helpful. The CBT will help you to break that vicious cycle in which you start, for whatever reason, feeling mildly anxious, then get VERY anxious about feeling anxious