Question
Posted by: B | 2008-11-03

problems with 12yr old

My 12yr old is giving me uphill, maybe I am too old for this but he throws tantrums when he can' t get his way. On Friday he wanted to wear new shoes to school, was stopped because he ruins things, cried like baby, suddenly he had no other shoes to wear.
So he was left at home to walk to school which is five mins away and he never went to school.At 3h00 he called me to say his back home like he does everyday.I have taken his WII remotes away to punish him, what I find is when in the mode he cuts up stuff, can be anything like his clothing,couches, curtains etc
He has been for counselling in the past and still gets it at school, was found fine just seeking attention.I have stopped his priviledges like Cartoon Chanel than he' ll obey until he gets them back.This is tiring.
His lazy and overweight,wont go to the grounds and play with other kids?recenly his started to back chat and shout at me when I speak to him and correct his wrongs.
He lies about doing homework and losing his books, his teacher phones to complain.His doing badly at school and never tells me when they start their exams, knowing I will make him study.
I was told this is a boy thing, I don' t know what to do next.

Sounds like the counsellorsd have not been professionally enterprising enough. Yes indeedy he is attention-seeking --- but identifying that is far from enough. As them to work with you on a plan ( such as you see in Supernanny, Little Angels, and other excellent BBC shows in DSTV ) They can and must work with you on a set of rules and consequences that will shape his behaviour more wholesomely