Question
Posted by: sam | 2008/10/26

problems causing small period flow

I am trying to concieve for last five years. I had told many doctors that my menstrual flow is very low and is just for two days. but as they are regular,they said, its ok. but for last one year , just one or two days before cycle i get temperature every month.
opening of uterus is also told as small. What problems it can cause to me. And what test could be done to trace out the problem. is there any solution of these problems also.

Dear Sam

There is no fixed amount that a woman should have, in terms of the menstrual flow. However as you are trying to fall pregnant the more important thing to find out is that are you ovulating or not? You will need to do a progesterone test in the mid cycle and if this were high it would indicate that you are ovulating. It would also be advisable for your gynaecologist to check that your endometrium is thick enough to allow for implantation to occur. If your menstrual flow is very very small in volume the possibility may exist that the endometrium is not getting as thick as is required for implantation to occur. However as you have been trying for the last 5 years to conceive, you got to look out for other factors that contribute to infertility and these will include semen analysis as well as patency of the fallopian tube.

Answered by: Dr. Y.M. Dasoo