Question
Posted by: JC | 2010/08/29

Problem with son''s scholastic performance

I’ m probably barking up the wrong tree here –  not sure what kind of expert to turn to.

My 15 year old son has been tested by two therapists –  both agree that he has an extremely high IQ. They classify his IQ in the range of a genius. Apparently less than 1% of the population falls into his category. The problem is that he barely makes it at school. His average is in the lover fifties. Maths is a complete disaster.

When he was younger he was properly diagnosed with ADD (without hyperactivity). From about 9 years he has been using (under supervision of a Psychiatrist) Ritalin. All the normal symptoms of ADD disappeared –  huge improvement. However, his scholastic performance is still a problem. I have tried all things possible, including study methods based on this brain profile. He is in a specialised after care school that focuses on these study methods. However, very little improvement.

My frustration is that an IQ in the range of a genius and 50% average does not correlate. He is wasting his potential. Due to his average he has already been refused for certain subjects for grade 10. This can potentially ruin his whole life.

I think the problem is a lack of self discipline. I speak out of experience. I was exactly the same way –  you know you got to study, but you just can’ t force yourself to sit down and do it. It feels like it is the most frustrating thing on earth. You almost can’ t stand the thought of spending the time on that. If you do not put in the time, you won’ t get the results.

My questions are:

1. How do I teach my son self discipline?
2. Who is the best expert to assist us with this?

Any other suggestions about enabling him to fulfil his potential will be high appreciated.

Really bright kids are often exceedingly bored by ordinary school-work, and any competent school or educational system makes proper provision for bright kids, just as it needs to make special provision for substantially less able kids.
"Brain profiling" and education based on it, is not a method based on good or convincing science.
Apart from his lower than expected performance in the generally dreary course work at school, are there OTHER thins that do interest him ( within other topics, hobbies, etc. ) at which he DOES show concentration and application ? ( this is usually the case in bright but bored kids, rather than kids with distinct learning difficulties.
An educational psychologist should be able to assess his actual abilities and potential ; a child psychol;ogist or child psychiatrist ought to be able to assess him as to whether there are particular learning difficulties or other such problems intruding and needing attention

2
Posted by: Happiness | 2010/08/30

Is he studying the same material as his classmates? Maybe he needs more challenging staff than the average person. Being a genius mean seeing things in a way normal people don''t see. I don''t think its about discipline to study, since most of us only learn to do that at tertiary level.

He (with your help) must identify what is it that he really enjoys doing, allow him to explore and challenge himself. Or else he will die of boredom.

Reply to Happiness