Question
Posted by: Lynne | 2011/04/18

Problem with Jaw function

Good day

I have been having a problem with my right jaw function for about a year now. What happens is that when i wake in the morning i find it extremely difficult to open the jaw properly as it hurts, it is not a sharp pain, it is a dull aching pain which only goes away when i massage it, take pills or apply heat. I also makes a clicking sound when opening and closing the jaw. Sometimes it lasts throughout the day, sometimes only at night and in the morning, Sometimes i am afaid to fall asleep thinking it will not open at all. I have been to a dentist, checked all my teeth, reffered me to a maxillo facial surgoen who said i have myo facial pain, his advice did not help much. I then went back to a doctor who gave me a refferal to a physiotherapist and a nerve tablet. After the nerve tablet and therapy it seemed to subside for about a month and a half and now it is back. I am 31 years old, taking metformin and simvastatin for Insulin resistant PCOS as well as cilift. I have been on the cilift and met for a few years and the statin about a year now. Please help me, refer me if you can to the correct doctor or specialist as this is very troublesome..

Kind regards,

Hallo Lynne
You probably have TM joint dysfunction (it is the joint between the jaw and the skull just before your ear) It is a difficult condition to treat and you have to find a physiotherapist and dentist that have an interest in TM joint dysfunction treatment if possible. Often you need to get a specially made bite plate to wear to re-align the jaw and train the muscles to bite correctly again (an orthodontist may be able to help with this)Where do you live?

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/04/18

Hallo Lynne