Question
Posted by: Gladys | 2012/03/14

problem with bowel movement

Hi Diet Doc
I had my rectum removed eight years owing to an adenocarcinoma. Over the years my bowel movements have never been the same. I go through different phases, like constipation, diarrhoea, frequent movements ( 10 - 30 per day)

Now for the past six months my stool refuses to come out and the size of the stool is very small 3/4cm. I have to assist evacuation by having a water enema. Thereafter it exits okay. But it never comes out in one sitting.I am at my wits end. My gastroenterologist suggested taking two senokots daily but I do not want to have a movement with the assistance of laxatives.

My movements were okay before last October so I don''t know what is causing it to produce small lumpy stools that are causing me discomfort - Please help!!

Dear Gladys
I am sorry to hear that you are having such problems with your bowel movements after removal of your rectum for cancer. Did anything change since last October? Did you change anything in your routine, your exercise, your diet, your other medications, your supplements - anything at all that could be causing this change? If not, then I would recommend that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), as it is important for you to have your present diet and its dietary fibre content assessed professionally. The dietitian will then have to help you test which foods that are rich in insoluble dietary fibre you can use without causing diarrhoea and other negative effects in the opposite direction.

1

Dear Gladys