Question
Posted by: Peter Morris | 2010/02/02

Problem : Urid acid kidnetstones - what do I eat and what not

Please help me with the above problem ! How much and when !!

Dear Peter
I am sorry to hear that you suffer from uric acid kidney stones. I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will work out an individual low-purine diet for you. If you suffer from uric acid kidney stones then you need to eat a diet that is low in compounds called 'purines', to avoid a buildup of uric acid in the body. Excessive uric acid buildup is caused by a disorder in the metabolism of so-called "purines", which are compounds that occur in high quantities in red meat, organ meats (brains, liver, kidneys, sweetbreads), anchovies, meat extracts, broth, bouillon, and gravies made from meat drippings, sardines, herrings, mackerel, mussels, partridge, fish roes, baker's and brewer's yeast taken as supplements. Beans, pulses, spinach, asparagus and mushrooms have a moderate purine content and can be eaten in moderate quantities. Other vegetables and fruits have a negligible purine content and can be eaten freely. Alcohol and rich, fatty foods should also be avoided. The reason why I recommend that you consult a dietitian is that she/he will be able to guide you through the initial phases of getting used to the low-purine diet, which can be quite tricky to apply.
I do hope you will soon feel much better.

1

Dear Peter