Posted by: mona | 2009-08-17

problem to swallow

i recently had a problem swallowing food and it felt that it gets stuck in my throat and do not go down, i did a gastroscopy and was told that i get a oesophageal spasm as a result of my hernia and was given pariet and sugessted i go on a diet, but i still have this problem to swallow food and i wonder if this is not getting psycological that i am actually afraid to try and eat as i do not want to feel the same symptoms like i am choking when i try and eat, what can i do to calm myself down before eating to try and avoid this anxiety?

Well, some people with stress and anxiety disorders do experience some difficulties in swallowing, and anxiety can include muscle tensions and spasms in some muscles. And even if there weas an entirely physical origin for the symptom, worrying about it would be natural but could make it worse. A shrink could help to assess this, and can teach you self-relaxation techniques which would surely help