Posted by: mona | 2009-07-15

problem swallowing

i have a hiatus hernia and gord and a while ago i went to the dr because i could not swallow food it feels like it is stuck in my throat when i try to swallow i had a gastroscopy again and was given nexiam and told to go on a diet as the hernia got bigger but they could find nothing else wrong, the dr thought it could be a oesophageal spasm that gives me problems with my swallowing as a result of the rest she also gave me clopamon to help swallowing, but now the problem is back is there any other pill i can take to help me swallow or to open my oesopagus?

Dear Mona
A low dose antidepressant may help ( I am not exactly sure how it works but it does - probably works on the serotonin hormone system) Nitrogliserin ( the drug we use for heart cramps) also helps but tends to give one unpleasant headaches. I also have patients that do well on Fluanxil - usually used for depression and anxiety
If you use any of the antidepressant or anti-anxiety medications, the dose needed may be lower than the dose usually used for depression or anxiety. You also don't have to use it constantly, you can use this just as needed.