Question
Posted by: Anon | 2012-11-15

problem foot

My left foot seem to trouble me - no matter what shoe I wear, it feels like it is under the arch of the foot and then spreads to the toes, and it feels like my foot is burning - if I take off my shoe then its fine. The right foot is no problem. Also it looks like I might be getting as bunion on this foot. I only wear flat shoes (also wear slops a lot), could this be the casue of the problem?. I read somewhere that wearing flat shoes can cause bunions.

Many thanks for your feedback.

Expert ImagePodiatrist

Thank you for your question, to wear completely flat shoes is not ideal. One should always wear a shoe with a rubber sole, that takes on the shape of your feet and that have a strap around your heel that will allow your foot and the shoe to function as a unit. Incorrect shoewear is the biggest cause of foot problems. If there is no improvement in your discomfort I would suggest that you go and see a podiatrist. For treatment of your bunion I would recommend that you see a podiatrist for a biomechanical examination to determine the cause of the bunion and then advise accordingly. For your nearest podiatrist contact PASA www.podiatrist.co.za 0861 100 249